Adair and Holland Families War Service Honor Roll



From the Pension Rolls:

aged 76, and a resident of Tuscaloosa County; private, S.C. Militia; enrolled on July 2, 1833, under act of Congress of June 7, 1832, payment to date from March 4, 1831; annual allowance, $80; sums received to date of publication of list, $240.
Revolutionary Pension Roll, in Vol. xiv, Sen. Doc. 514, 23rd Cong., 1st sess., 1833-34.

aged 68, and a resident of Sumter County; private, S.C. State Troops; enrolled on April 17, 1834, under act. of Congress of June 7, 1832. payment to date from March 4, 1831, annual allowance, $80.
Revolutionary Pension Roll, in Vol. xiv, Sen. Doc. 514, 23rd Cong., 1st sess., 1833-34.

aged 71, and a resident of Limestone County; private, S.C. Militia; enrolled on June 13, 1833, under act of Congress of June 7, 1832, payment to date from March 4, 1831; annual allowance, $76.66.; sums received to date of publication of list $229.98.
Revolutionary Pension Roll, in Vol. xiv, Sen. Doc. 514, 23rd Cong., lst sess., 1833-34.
He resided in Limestone County; June 1, 1840, aged 78. Census of Pensioners, 1841. p. 148.

DAR, Grave Abstracts, Miscellaneous

Abstract of Graves of Revolutionary Patriots: Volume 2
Fam cem, Laurens Co SC 70
ROSTER OF SOUTH CAROLINA PATRIOTS IN THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION by Bobby Gilmer Moss (pg. 456 HOLLAND, Thomas (S32327) b: 17 Dec. 1763, Md. While residing in Ninety Six District, he enlisted and served at various times from the winter of 1777-78 in the militia. He served under Capts. Thomas Weems, Joseph Pickens, William Strain & Colo. Pickens & Anderson & was in the battle @ Kettle Creek & the Siege of Ninety Six. (Moved to Ala.) A.A. 3792; - 0499.

Revolutionary Soldier buried in Holland family graveyard within a stone's throw of the home he built in 1835, and some 9 miles from Scottsboro.
Mrs. Emma C. Swindel, Tuscaloosa, Ala.
See also General D.A.R. Report, 1927-28, page 109.


Roster of the North Carolina Continental Line, Sharp's Company, 10th regiment of the Salisbury District Militia     contributed by Ed Mammen


During the Revolution and afterwards, South Carolina kept its' own records, muster rolls, and so forth, and paid its' own soldiers for military service, and its' citizens for supplies for the military and distressed civil population. These records were never in the hands of the general government at Washington DC, but were retained in Columbia, SC. All requests for information on war records for any soldier of the American Revolution in South Carolina should be sent to the South Carolina Archives Department in Columbia.

During the hottest part of the Revolutionary War about 1780, the Tories burned the courthouse in Laurens, SC; also the private residences of many of the Adairs and Hollands; and thus destroyed the priceless records up to that date.

The following served in the Revolutionary War and their names are inscribed on a marble tablet placed by the DARs on the front inside wall of Duncan Creek Presbyterian Church:

Joseph Adair, Sr.
Joseph Adair, Jr.
James Adair, Sr.
John Copeland
Thomas Holland
Thomas McCrary
Joseph Ramage

To see a photograph of this plaque, visit the 
Duncan Creek Presbyterian Church

At age 70, JOSEPH ADAIR, SR.
was a soldier in the Revolutionary Army; Commissary of Col. D. Casey's Regiment. Commissary's Pay Bill of Joseph Adair, Sr., commencing the 20th of August, 1781 and ending March 1782 is on record and was certified on January 6, 1786.

The following information is from the book "Roster of South Carolina Patriots in the American Revolution" by Bobby Moss:
He served under Col. Edward Lacey (see below) and was at Huck's Defeat. Huck's Defeat is also known as the Battle of Williamson's Plantation.

The following information is from The Bicentennial Guide To the American Revolution The War in the South, Volume 3, by Sol Stember:
...On Wednesday, July 11, 1780, Captain Christian Huck, a Loyalist officer who served with Tarleton, brought 500 Tories and British here, including some of Tarleton's legion from Rocky Mount to wipe out a band of rebels who were preparing to join Sumter. Sumter was marshalling his militia for his role in the Camden campaign. He found two Whigs melting lead into bullets, imprisoned them, threatened to hang them, and then located the house of Colonel William Bratton... ...The wife of one of the men threatened with hanging rode off to Sumter's bivouac with news of the raid. Col. Bratton and Captain Edward Lacey, Jr., with several other officers and about 500 men, left at once, but by the time they reached the vicinity of Huck's camp, their 500 had somehow melted away to 90. Captain Lacey, who lived nearby, had to have his own father, a Tory through and through, tied into his bed to prevent him from warning Huck. At dawn on the 12th, the Whigs attacked, catching the Tories where they were camped between plantation rail fences. Huck was killed, and so were thirty or forty of his men; only twelve of Tarleton's men escaped. The Whigs lost one man killed, and the two men awaiting Huck's justice were freed...

Visit Historic Brattonsville the site of Huck's Defeat

Battle of Williamson's Plantation history of Huck's Defeat


Edward Lacey (1742-1813), At the age of 13, during the French and Indian War, he ran away from home to join Braddock's Expedition against the French in Canada. Three years later joined the exodus of Pennsylvanians to Carolina. He was taken in by William Adair, father of a future governor of Kentucky, who gave him an excellent education. Edward Lacey's father and his family followed him to South Carolina, settling in Chester Co. Edward Lacey and his father, Edward Lacey Snr. soon found themselves on opposite sides, politically, when the Revolutionary War began.  In 1775,  he organized a company of volunteers and was commissioned captain, 1776, under Williamston in the Cherokee expedition; in 1780 he was
commissioned colonel and was in the battles of Rocky Mount, Hanging Rock, Waters Ford and Fishing Creek. He was born in Cumberland County, Pa.; died in Livingston County, Ky.  Edward Lacey was a foster son of William Adair. He is the Captain mentioned in the story of Huck's defeat. Three of his foster-brothers also fought:

JAMES ADAIR Private, Col. Edward Lacey Regiment, SC Troops died 1835 Chester Co, SC

WILLIAM ADAIR, JR From: DAR Lineage Books: William Adair was too old to serve, but his sons James, William and John served as soldiers, as did his foster son, Edward Lacey.

(1757-1840) of South Carolina was a soldier during the American Revolution, after which he migrated to Kentucky.
From: The Encyclopedia of American Family Names by H. Amanda Robb & Andrew Chesler, 1995



(1828?-1880) was assistant chief of the Cherokee nation. During the Civil War, he lead a band of Native Americans in the Confederate Army and fought at the Battle of Pea Ridge.
From: The Encyclopedia of American Family Names by H. Amanda Robb & Andrew Chesler, 1995
Colonel, 2nd (Adair's) Cherokee Mounted Volunteers (Adair's Regiment, Cherokee Mounted Rifles)


1st (Watie's) Cherokee Mounted Volunteers


1st (Watie's) Cherokee Mounted Volunteers

Enlisted as a Private, May 15, 1861 at Clayton, AL in the Army of the Confederate States of America in Company A, 5th Regiment of Alabama Infantry (Barbour Grays) with Captain Eugene Blackford and Col. J.M. Hall. They were with the 2nd Army Corps of Maj. General R.E. Rodes, General R.S. Ewell's brigade and D.H. Hill's division under General T.S. "Stonewall" Jackson in Robert E. Lee's Army of Virginia.

He fought in all major engagements including West Point Landing, Seven Pines, Chester City, Williamsburg, Sharpsburg (Antietam), Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Gettsburg (with Ewell's corps, Rodes Division, O'Meal's brigade).

He was taken prisoner at Sharpsburg (Antietam) on September 17, 1862 and was paroled. Rejoining his unit he was again captured in the Fredericksburg- Chancellorsville battle on May 3, 1863. At the time of his capture he held the rank of 2nd Lieutenant. He escaped and rejoined his unit. On the first day of Gettysburg (July 1, 1863) while again serving his unit as 2nd Lieutenant, he was shot through the right lung and left on the field. In those days a gunshot wound to the chest was not considered survivable. It is to the credit of the Union Army who found him that they doctored him and that somehow, he survived. When he was able, he was sent to the Union prisoner of war camp at Johnson's Island, Ohio, where he stayed for the final 22 months of the war.

He eventually purchased a 1,100 acre homestead in Texas. He farmed his land and raised livestock until his death in 1881 from pneumonia. A direct, contributing cause of his death was the war wound he had suffered at Gettysburg.

Thanks and credit to fellow researcher Lowell Browne, who provided this information on his ancestor, John Holland Fryer.


Whit Holland, a farmer, married Nancy Burkley on 7 January, 1840 in Trigg Co. KY.  He was 20, she was 25.  Ten years later, in the 1850 census, they were shown with three children:
            Mary E. , 10;   Claiborne, 6;    and Margaret V., 4 

At age 41 Whit was mustered into the Kentucky Militia on 9 April, 1861 at Canton, Trigg Co., under Captain Alfred Thomas.  Less than three months later, on 5 July, he enlisted as a private in Company A, 2nd Kentucky Mounted Infantry, Confederate States Army.  He enlisted at Camp Boone, Tennessee, for “the period of the war or 3 years.” 

Whit was at Fort Donelson on the Cumberland River near Dover, Tennessee, when General Grant surrounded it on 12 February, 1862.  Three Confederate Brigadiers were also there, but two escaped through the lines at night. The remaining General, Buckner, sent a delegation asking for terms of surrender.  Grant replied “unconditional”.  This victory opened the way for Union ironclad boats to get to Nashville. 

Whit was one of those taken prisoner at Ft. Donelson on 16 February, 1862, and they sent him and his company to Camp Douglass, Illinois. The Prisoner of War Roll for that camp shows that “Whitmill Holland was admitted to hospital with pneumonia March 4, 1862; returned to duty April 10, 1862.” 

In September, Whit and his company were sent to Vicksburg, Mississippi, to be exchanged for Union prisoners.  From Company A’s official records: 

“Left Illinois and arrived at Vicksburg 9/18/62 – 1000 miles.  Left for Chattanooga via Mobile and Montgomery arriving 9/30/62.  Went to Knoxville and Cumberland Gap, arrived at Tullahoma 10/30/62.

9/22/63 marched from Chickamauga, Tennessee to Chattanooga, skirmishing and pursuing the enemy.  On night of 24th marched to Missionary Ridge”.   (Here the Confederates routed the Federal forces, chasing them all the way back to Chattanooga, where they bottled them up by controlling Lookout Mountain.  Over the next two months new Union forces arrived. Two Army corps were detached from the Army of the Potomac and sent west by train and boat under the command of Joe Hooker. Most of the Army of the Tennessee, with Sherman in command, was ordered east from the Mississippi. General Grant was ordered north from New Orleans, post-haste. By November the Union forces were ready to break out.)

Continuing from Company A’s records:
“11/23/63 left Camp Hewitt, Tennessee (where the troops had been resting since 10/20)  for Missionary Ridge. Engaged the enemy on the morning of the 25th and held our position until night when we were ordered to retreat, which we did in good order.  Covered the retreat of the Army, skirmishing with the enemy for 3 days. Arrived in Dalton, Georgia and encamped 11/28/63.  Remained in Dalton until  8/31/64 when engaged in battle.  Impossible to muster them (the             company)”   (This was the last record of the company. Under General Joe Johnston, a force of some sixty thousand men around Dalton had held the Union off for more than a month.  But they were       overrun on August 31 and the next day Atlanta fell to Sherman). 

The last official note on Whit Holland’s service folder shows that he signed the pay record on January 15, 1864, eight months before his unit was overrun at Dalton. His service record states that he was present for every muster from July 5, 1861 until August 31, 1864.  The record does not show if he was taken prisoner at Dalton or how he made his way home to Kentucky. We do know that Trigg County court records show him back home and serving on the Petit Jury in 1887.
contributed by Ed Mammen    Thank you to Ed for this great information!

born August 14, 1839- died March 21, 1875
Private, Company B, 1st Regiment, South Carolina Cavalry
Enlisted August 25, 1861 at Camp Johnson, Clinton, South Carolina under Captain Niles Nesbitt
Horse killed at Ellis Ford, VA, December 31, 1862
On roll April 30, 1863 as 2nd Corporal
On last available roll October 31, 1864 as 1st Corporal, sick in quarters
Source: Compiled Service Records; NARS Micrcopy #267; Roll # CW539 South Carolina Archives Department, Columbia, SC

Link to First South Carolina Cavalry

Elijah M. Holland - paroled 4/9/1865 at Appomattox. Palmetto Sharpshooters Co. L
Confederate Guards - Anderson County, SC

Frances M. Holland paroled 4/9/1865 at Appomattox. Palmetto Sharpshooters Co. L
Confederate Guards - Anderson County, SC

E. M. Holland - Private - Palmetto Sharpshooters - Co. B. Calhoun Mountaineers
SC Volunteers

Martin Holland 18th SC Infantry - Company G

D D Holland - Corp. Palmetto Sharpshooters
Company A. Johnson Rifles - Union County, SC



This web page was last updated on 05/18/2016

Find a BAD URL or other problem?
Please report to
Thanks for helping to keep the quality of this site at the highest standard!

COPYRIGHT 1998-2016 by Lisa M. Bowes

Nothing herein is to be copied or downloaded to a recording device for purposes of duplication and/or distribution, without express written permission by the owner. (Please do not hesitate to ask!)

Please note:
Although I try to be as accurate as possible, information contained on this site has been compiled over many years from a variety of sources, and I cannot guarantee that there are no errors. 
Do not hesitate to point out any inconsistencies, and every effort will be made to make corrections as needed.